Thursday, February 21, 2013

Best Supporting Actor

Members of the Academy have these choices for Best Supporting Actor:

Best Supporting Actor Nominees:

Alan Arkin--Argo
Robert DeNiro--Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman--The Master
Tommy Lee Jones--Lincoln
Christoph Waltz--Django Unchained

Winner: I believe the Academy will pick Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained.  They like him, as evidenced by his win for Inglorious Bastards. They all secretly like Quentin Tarantino (even though I completely don't get it.) This is way they can give him a nod and give Waltz a nod as well.  I probably won't ever see this movie, at least until they put it on TV. I made the mistake of seeing several Tarantino films because of a boy, and they are just too much everything for me. The language, the violence, the kitchiness; it's all too much. I haven't seen Argo yet, though I want to. Alan Arkin is a legend and I am pleased he continues to work.  Philip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor, but since his role in the Master is likened to L. Ron Hubbard, I think it probably hit too close to home for many of the Hollywood crowd who are surrounded by Scientology. Personally I think it should go to either Tommy Lee Jones for his portrayal of the abolitionist Senator Thaddeus Stevens in Lincoln or to Robert DeNiro for the emotional rollercoaster he takes us on as Bradley Cooper's dad in Silver Linings Playbook. 

Now, here's some other options for this category.

Dream Nominees:
Jeremy Renner--The Avengers--It's Jeremy Renner with a bow and arrow slinging wit and death
Clark Gregg--The Avengers--He has been the best character in all the Marvel movies
Justin Timberlake --Trouble With the Curve--Justin may have been Justin as a former baseball player, but I can't help but love his personality.
Michael Caine--The Dark Knight Rises--The best Albert ever, had to make the most awful of choices
Javier Bardem--Skyfall--There hasn't been a Bond villain that I was more afraid of and hated more than him.

The Winner:


Another tie, it seems I can't decide which male characters I like the best. This time between good and evil. Clark Gregg's and Javier Bardem's performances are classics. Clark Gregg's Agent Phil Coulson is the unexpected tough guy who has the safety of the world in his hands at all times. He keeps his cool and is smarter than most the people in the room. His death in Avengers made me gasp and pretty mad. Javier Bardem's evil Silva was creepy, scary, nasty, violent, and every other dark adjective you can think of.  His use of "Mommy" in reference to M was just one of the creepiest things I've ever heard.

Up next: Best Supporting Actress

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big James Bond fan. Silva had all the attributes you want in a world class bad guy. Skyfall is my favorite of all the Bond films. Skyfall is a reboot for Bond. Plus, it brings him back to some resemblance of reality.

    ReplyDelete