Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Oscars are Coming

This Sunday night is a very exciting night for me. It is, for me, how many of you approach the Superbowl. The night of all nights, the big show, the single most important broadcast of the year. Most years, I could care less who wins the Superbowl. That is, unless the Steelers are in it, or I've found some player to whom I've found a particular attachment. But, seeing as I may watch 10 minutes of football all season, it is not likely to happen.

This Sunday night is the Academy Awards, or the Oscars, as some are likened to call it. This is Hollywood's biggest night. The stars will be out in their finest to celebrate, as the Academy picks what they deem as best in film. I know it's a night of self-aggrandizement. I know it's wrought with liberal grandstanding. I know that most of the films I love will never make it to the ballot. But, I love it anyway. The movies, for me are all about the story; gritty stories, funny stories, moving stories, thought-provoking story. larger-than-life stories, real-life stories, I love them all. It's about the actors you've grown to love, those you don't get, or even those you hate. Most years, (like this one) I haven't even seen all the films.  I have friends who luckily have the time in their schedules to do the now, two-day Oscar marathon at the local theater.  I don't have time for that anymore, teaching lessons on Fridays and Saturdays take precedence. But, I have made an effort to see a lot of them.  I am going to put myself out there and give you my predictions, as well as who I would really want to see nominated and win.

I will post each one as a separate post...hope it's fun for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment