Friday, February 22, 2013

Best Supporting Actress

The choices for Best Supporting Actress are:

Best Supporting Actress Nominees:
Amy Adams--The Master
Sally Field--Lincoln
Anne Hathaway--Les Miserables
Helen Hunt--The Sessions
Jacki Weaver--Silver Linings Playbook

And the winner will be:
Anne Hathaway as Fantine in Les Miserables. Her performance, though brief, is so very, very strong. I think in part due to the fact that David Hooper designed this more like a play, where the singing is done live. This race is almost too close to call though, because I think they will also lean toward Sally Field's performance as Mrs. Lincoln. She does an excellent job of riding the line between the ambitious woman that pushes her husband and the grief-stricken crazy woman. I felt such empathy for Jacki Weaver as Bradley Cooper's mom in Silver Linings Playbook. Again, I have not seen The Master nor The Sessions.

So, let's have some fun with this idea:
Dame Judi Dench--Skyfall--She has been an amazing M. Can you tell I love her and secretly want to be her?
Samantha Barks--Les Miserables--Her Eponine was excruciatingly beautiful.
Scarlett Johannson--Avengers--For her opening scene alone, I think she deserves a nod, and I don't particularly like her. I mean, who gives up Ryan Reynolds?
Anne Hathaway--The Dark Knight Rises--I know, I know, twice in the same category, but her Catwoman was worlds above Halle Berry's.
Charlize Theron--Snow White and the Huntsman--She takes this classic Evil Queen to a whole new level (and does it so much better than Julia Roberts did --sorry Julia, I still love you).

The winner is:

This is probably the category I had the hardest time with. I made my bed, now I have to lie in it as the saying goes. Well darn it! This isn't real! I choose....




Dame Judi Dench, Anne Hathaway, and Samantha Barks! Dame Judi Dench has always played M tough with this soft spot for Daniel Craig's Bond. Perhaps that's why I love her so much, cause I too have a soft spot for Daniel Craig (sorry, Rachel Weisz). Dench is an amazing actress and is so British. I chose Anne Hathaway partially because my brother would never speak to me again if I didn't, he has a little (well, a big thing) for her. But, not only did she look great in this role, but she was great as this tough, street-smart character. A long way from the Princess of Genovia. Lastly, there is Samantha Barks as Eponine. First of all, by far the best voice in the entire movie. Secondly, how is it possible that someone's waist could be that small?  Really though, the scene where she watches Cosette and Marius fall in love and then her death scene are both so well acted!

No comments:

Post a Comment